Tuesday 5 December 2017

gaslands (1)

Well trying to post regularly here is my first vehicle for "Gaslands" . Some of you may have already bought the rules while others have yet to hear of them. Now for me I needed cheering up so I ordered them and will get them at Christmas. My Mother will give them to me then, she cannot get out and about at the moment and even if she could wargames rules are not something you can buy in many high-streets!

I did watch a few vids on Youtube and did decide they were my cup of tea. As such they were purchased. After all which very boring wargamer does not like Mad Max.  There must be one but I have not met them.

As such I thought to start building some (OK 1) car(s). I still have not decided is I will stick at 20mm (1/72nd Scale) or leap up to 28mm. We will both have to see how it plays and if I like the game and if the upscale is worth the effort as the rules are meant for Diecast cars of a certain size.


However here is my first car. Nothing very special at all. Just a reinforced front bumper and  some spikes and possibly 2 gun ports facing forward. Al in all a very quick and easy conversion, but better than just a bought car from a supermarket, at least in my opinion!

I was going to put more spikes on, but I am glad I showed restraint. There are enough to make it look aggressive but not to many to stop it being undriveable. But even if there were too many it would not be a problem as it is for a game and not real life!

The Grill on the front and rear windows was also hand made and just some spare "Plasticard" so nothing very exciting. Having said that it did need something to make it look more survival than road use. That and a tarpaulin on the back (tin foil painted ) and some dents and scratches on the roof and the beast is ready to go.

For a base it is on an old credit card! Fear not I have about 20 more that were used as door opening devices at work and were thrown away when new doors were fitted.  So I recycled them and they are no use at all for anything other than scrap.... or anything a wargamer can model out of them. They have NEVER had any money on them and they can no longer open any secure doors!

That's it for today. With a little luck I am now back to posting normally. next time will most likely be more BoB unless I get carried away and make another car! (I bet somewhere a child is weeping that I have done this.....  I also imagine several jumping up and down and loving the idea!)



Always worth showing the intention!




21 comments:

  1. Nice conversion Clint, and a great start to a new project :-)
    You can always pick up "Health Lottery" plastic cards for more credit card size bases (and other modelling projects) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Addict (sorry I do not know your name). I already have a stock of "Credit cards" so no need at present to get any more, but I do appreciate the heads up I am sure it will come in useful in the future.

      Delete
  2. Great looking model Clint and super paint-job on it. I too have been using credit cards sized platic cards for basing and have been making friends empty their own wallets for old ones (It's quite amazing how many old cards we all seem to retain).
    As an aside I probably am that "very boring wargamer that (sic) does not like Mad Max", but you're right in that we haven't met!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe. I am not a fan of the new Mad Max, but I do really like the old ones! I new as I typed it there would be someone... probably several.

      As for Old credit cards I agree we all have more "Loyalty" cards than we need. And they do not mean we only shop in those places (as I am sure they would hope!)

      Delete
  3. That looks brilliant Clint. Love the conversions (though the bits on the bonnet did make me stop and think about the use of such to start with) and how you've painted the weathering and damage looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. Anti boarding spikes are NOT everyones taste. But they doo break up the look of the car. Realistic all they do not add anything to a car and would make it harder to drive and make it heavier. But what the heck it's just a bit of fun.

      Delete
  4. I certainly wasn't expecting this when I clicked on your blog. Mad Max style gaming with lots of car chases is something I'd love to do but only in 28mm scale. (I love all of the Mad Max films!) I am aware of "Gaslands" but I'm not sure if it's for me. I suspect not. You've done a very good job on converting and painting that car but I'd have like it a lot more if it was 28mm scale. I wish you all the best with this new project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I need to talk to the key members of the club. This may turn into a 1930's style 28mm car game only time will tell. All I would need to do is make larger templates (not beyond me) and convert the cars. Obviously more space would also be required for the game. But let us see how this goes first!

      Delete
  5. Nice post apocalyptic looking car Clint, like the conversion and dirty style paint work adds to the effect

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. The rules are just a treat for xmass . Not too expensive and likely t keep me busy if nothing else!

      Delete
  6. Really impressive Clint, especially that weathering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. being honest I though I was a little heavy handed on the weathering. But it looks good enough for a game and that is all I want

      Delete
  7. Great stuff, Clint. I had a dabble with "Mad Max" during 2017 and thoroughly recommend it!! You;re certainly off to a great start :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Blax. It is early days yet of course, I do not even have the rules! So we will see how it turns out. maybe the club will not want to get involved at all.

      Delete
  8. oooh ... tempting! nicely done Clint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave I promise no camels at all this year! (Well maybe!) Next up I will finish more BoB figures. Then maybe another car... I will see how the club reacts.

      Delete
  9. I suspect that 28mm-sized cars will be hard to find, especially when compared with Hot Wheels and the like in the smaller scale. Either way, good luck with this project; I'll be watching with interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you C6. "8mm cars are actually easy to find. I would be looking at "Matchbox Yesteryear" range. But as you point out "Dinky/hotwheels Matchbox and the like are far easier to come by.... any boot fair or jumble sale will have some.

      That aside I have JUST started the next car. (20mm size) I will let you know how this gets on in due course.

      Delete
  10. Looks cracking mate! Love the rust effect you've achieved on the metal very realistic looking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I do believe there are a number of people in the world who think I can make anything look scruffy! The Pick up is coming along as well. Probably put primer on today. I also hope the rules arrive today ready in plenty of time for Christmas.

      Delete
  11. I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through all my life a weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing  the internet searching on how i could be transformed into a powerful when i came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed of becoming a  VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and i bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment.