Thursday 14 September 2017

gentlemen, start your .... too late they are already off!

Well it arrived! What arrived? Well the thing I got on eBay that I was excited about. Am I still as excited. Well truth to admit no. but I am still excited, just not as much. (I think that is inevitable).

Let me explain. for years (since my first copy of "Space 1889" I have really enjoyed steampunk. But having seen more than a few Youtube videos about Asylum the Lincoln Steampunk festival I kind of lost faith. There were to many people dressing as pirates or fairies or fluffy animals or well you get the idea. NOT Victorian science fiction at all but tea drinking fantasy. Now if that is what they want good luck to them. But I have moved over to "Dieselpunk" Now many of you will not have heard of dieselpunk no worries it is fairly new to me.

But I have made my first purchases... well actually I have not they were actually made several years ago but I got them for steampunk.

Ok cutting the waffle what did I get.

Well diesel punk is a lot less common than steam punk. but one thing it does have is planes. Lots of aeroplanes. So I bought planes.

These are all Wizkidz plastic Crimson skies planes. I am not hppy with them, they all need re-painting. Theer is nothing wrong with the current paint jobs of course. However they were painted by someone probably on minimum wage with no interest in dieselpunk and probably no interest in much other that the pay check either.

Still I digress here are the planes. I have 26 in all. Lots of them style wise I d not like. but that is not going to stop me at all.


 So gentle and not so gentle reader grab a coffe and a ciggerette and hold on it is going to be a bumpy ride.

Firstly I need to aquire some rules I like. and then make an airship so nothing is going to happen over night.

Just stit back and try to ignore any turbulance it is just the pilot trying to find the best and fastest route.

Should I ask for any suggestions as to painting schemes feel free to chip in. But at present I am thinking Camoflage rather than bright colours.

That is it for today. thanks for looking and back to the aeronef paint mines for me.








26 comments:

  1. I've never heard of dieselpunk before. I doubt if it'd be my cup of tea but if you like it that's all that matters. I do wish you luck in progressing with this project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. Remember that 10 years ago almost no one had heard of steampunk either. But there have been a few dieselpunk films. Rocketeer for a star). Lots of work to do and as mentioned several plane types (about 1/2) I do not like but what range of figures do we ever like more tan half?

      Delete
  2. What a splendid buy, Clint, absolutely marvellous. I well remember the "Crimson Skies" planes and enjoyed a few games with them (didn't they originally come with standalone pilots too?). But I always found their stands kept snapping off... which is why we stopped playing it. Very interested to see which rule-set you go with, and this looks like another of your truly fascinating projects :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. Originally "Crimson Skies" was designed by the same person who designed Battletech. That was LONG before wizkids got hold of it. I would HOPE to go back to the original, but use the wizkids models.

      Delete
  3. Some interesting models Clint, as you say prefer some of the designs over others. Diesel Punk should be interesting to see how this works out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave. We both must just see how this works out. I could fall flat on my face again.. and again... and again... and well you guessed it.

      Delete
    2. I get knocked down , but get up again ! LOL

      Delete
    3. I have seen Chumbawumba in concert (about 25-30 years back). As for me falling on my wargames face it does happen regularly.

      Delete
    4. Don't we all Clint, if we can get back up and have another go, that is what truly count's

      Delete
    5. thanks Dave I will stumble if not sprint to a wargames finish. We all make mistakes and if we are lucky learn from them.

      Delete
  4. Dieselpunk is new to me too...looks cool though! Nice mini's. Interested to see where this is going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. Dieselpunk has a lot to do with Film Noir and America in an imagined 1930's. Not a main stream genre and not something that Poties mob would approve of I suspect.

      Delete
  5. Very surprisingly I've never heardof it! We can't all like Napoleonics can we Clint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Dieselpunk is not well known. So you are forgiven for not having heard of it before. Think "Sky Captain and the world of Tomorrow" if you want a film reference. I imagine Fran would. The great and wonderful Fran.

      Delete
    2. April and the extraordinary world is another good dieselpunk-ish film. The anime series Last Exile is also worth a shot. There needs to be more like Sky Captain though...

      Looking forward to seeing the planes come together

      Delete
    3. Thank you paul. More mainstream film would also be Rocketeer or even Metropolis (although some might say too early).
      Either is good we all need some more dieselpunk. Films are a great way to introduce people to the category.

      I have yet to write some rules as well. But also will look at "Gaslands" by Osprey for possible dieselpunk car racing. When the rules become cheap.

      Delete
  6. Great idea will be following with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, my first fledging steps. Giant leaps need to be made ahead.

      Delete
  7. I thinkyou're just making stuff up now as I thought Crimson Skies was a computer game!
    Good luck getting this project off the ground Clint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. You are right "Crimson Skies" was a computer game. BUT before it became a computer game it was a board game. Which is wee I first encountered it. Then it became a 2Wizkids" game (not a fan) and then a computer game.

      me make things up? If only I had that much imagination!

      Delete
  8. Nice collection......I think I would go with solid colours things like silver but sure camo would be fine 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, I am thinking Camo, but as you say silver would also be a fine choice. What I d not ant is flashy heraldic paint schemes.

      Delete
  9. Seen some adverts for a mad max type game (Mad Maximilian). Some nice looking cars are out for it. Regarding the planes I think a grubby, oily finish would give a feel of dieselpunk. Think diesel trains and old lorries and black smoke. Put me down for the first game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tim, no doubt talk a lot on the car journey. This is still a fledgling project so there is no rush as yet. But 1st game would be an honour.

      Delete
  10. Crimson Skies planes for the win! I love these and the whole background. Try http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/crimson-skies-c-29/ for even more styles of planes. You might like some of them ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carl. As soon as I stop typing this I will check it out. I will also be looking for background info as well.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.