Friday 3 February 2017

Rogue Stars !

Me start a new project Nah that never happens why would I want even more shinny toys? And truth to admit it has not actually happened this time either.

Okay it might happen. This time last week I banked the money I have received from Painting and was pleasantly surprised. So I decided to treat myself. Not a major splash out only about £8 and that includes postage. SO on a whim I purchased the "Rogue Stars" rules by Osprey. I did do a little research and saw they could be used for any sort of science fiction and was originally thinking VSF (Victorian Science Fiction) and yes they would work very well for that.

Then the rules arrived and I first checked  You Tube and found a good walk through of the rules. I will include that at the bottom. Watch it and make your own mind up that is far easier than me trying and failing to write a review.

So I looked through the book and looked through my unpainted heap of mouldering lead. One thing I did not have enough of was "Cultists".  As Cultists are also one of the crew/gang types and as in addition I was thinking they will be easy to paint and be about as far from 10mm Zulus as I Can get. As I had 2 packs of "Battle Brothers" From EMP Games ( LINK ) and the difference would be a change of colours and the figures would go from Sci Fi Monks to Sci Fi Cultists.

So I have started painting the Monks a suitable Cult colour. I was going to do Red Cultists but the first one came out looking like Santa. So I swapped very quickly to Cream and Purple. And when Painted they should (I hope) look like Cultists.

Sorry it is a work in progress day today. But The Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge means I can only show painted once a week and last week the person in charge of publishing my work failed to do so. So this is a filler post until I get something on there blog posted. Hence a delay on this blog

Anyway take care have fun and paint if you are able.

All the best Clint

14 comments:

  1. I have some Samurai Apes (Pendraken fantasy) that I painted in red and white armour. Unfortunately I only realised once they were finished that they looked like Santa. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy it is gratifying to know I am not alone!

      Delete
  2. Now this all sounds very interesting Clint. I had wondered about this as a rule set, but like you was trying to avoid stating something new - again! Now I can just enjoy it through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. One of the joys is that you can use any figures. Therefore it is up to you to theme any crews or not as you see fit. So as mentioned Victorian science fiction is possible as is Space marines. I have finished a few figure so I will do a crew/gang roster in the future.

      Delete
  3. Interested to see how it plays....I definitely have figures I could use...will try and watch the clip😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. The clip is long so I would not watch it all. But the clip also does show the rules mehanics quite well. I have since reading the rules realised that the guys have got the gang rosters slightly wrong (In campaign play you cannot start with a hero). Overall however the vid is worth watching.

      Delete
  4. Crikey Clint, not only a new project but some WIPs as well ;-) I have the "Rogue Stars" rulebook but haven't yet dipped my toe in its sci-fi waters. You may well get me to look at it a bit sooner than I anticipated. Great link to the video too, just what I needed :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Being Dyslexic It is easier to find a video than read a rulebook. So that does now tend to be my way of doing things.

      The Cult is now finished and will be on the Analogue Hobbies Painting Challenge in a fe days (I HOPE!)

      Delete
  5. Nice start to your Rogue Star Cultist crew. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I am tempted to theme this project. But I will wait and see in any of the normal players will want to get involved.

      Delete
  6. I'm somewhat surprised to discover that the concept of "Rogue Stars" has left me cold. Perhaps it will grow on me over time?

    Red cultists would be good (though what makes any particular colour "obviously" a good one for a cult?). I think I'd stick to a deep red for this purpose though and avoid a bright "Santa" red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you C6. I did start with a deep red but once I started to highlight it all went a bit Christmassy!

      I know what you mean I was "Blah!" to begin with but as the mechanics are very "Songs of...." I thought it would be worth a look for the price and I was pleasantly surprised when I did.

      Delete
  7. Looking forward to seeing this project develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. How it will develop will be determined by my players. If a certain group choose to try it it will be based in the Stargrunt universe as we all have those figures. If another group choose to play I foresee a Victorian science fiction theme developing. So I am trying to bridge the gap myself and waiting to see what happens

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.