Sunday 29 January 2017

Zulu's (finished for now)

Well as promised on the AHPC here is all the Zulus painted all in one go. By that I mean all in one photo. NOT all painted in one sitting! That would take more endurance than I have.

All the figures are 10mm or 1/200th scale. And while the majority are New Line Design (I bought a £30 army pack!) there are also Penrdraken miniatures scattered among them.

 From left to right. 3 figures on a base or 6 on a double base except rifle bases and then just 2 figures on a base.

Black shields and headdress 24 bases

Black and white shields and headdress 24 bases.

These 2 units will be married veterans so they will be in essence the elite of the army. Feel free to disagree as I have no real strong ideas.
 White shield. 24 bases. These will be the unmarried un bloodied warriors.

I bay need to add a further 8 bases to each of the above units to fit in with the rules, but I will probably just ignore the first 8 hits BEFORE removing bases.

The larges single unit is of course the unmarried but blooded warriors with brown and white shields and there are 61 bases of those. So a further 3 bases would totally finish them

Again I may need to add 7 more bases to fit in with the rules.

And Lastly all down the front 12 bases of rifle armed Zulus. Strictly speaking in the rules I should add a further 4 bases, but I am not sure I will. These have brown shields with white markings.

If I was being totally accurate I would mix and match shields as they did tend to mean different things in different tribes of the Zulus but realistically for game purposes It is easier to keep this simple method for identification purposes.

 In an ideal world where time money space and nagging did not matter I would finish these off with the extra figures as detailed above. But in real life I suspect I will draw a close on this army about here. I still have about 30 figures left unpainted so I have the choice either a small unit of tribal warriors allied to the British (with red headbands) or to bring one other unit up to full strength. So maybe it makes sense to do a further 9 figures (3 bases) of Brown and white shields)

I am not sure which is the best option but I do know I want a break from painting Zulus!


Hope to see you all again on Tuesday, so until then take care have fun and paint if the mood takes you.




30 comments:

  1. They look great Clint. Very effective looking enmass in the last few pics. Despite the strange savannah they are charging across :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, Indeed a strange table cloth savannah with salt and pepper trees (Cunningly out of shot!) I took the Photos while cooking Sunday Lunch!

      Delete
  2. Nice, those are decent-sized units, Clint. Top stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy. I suspect I am only about 1/2 way to a decently sizes Zulu Skirmish force! But I think this is enough for me. (at least for now!)

      Delete
  3. That is a whole lot of zulu......do you have enough Brits to fight against ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Matt. Yes I have the British painted from my mahdists The bases may be wrong but who cares. I also have a spare 100 or so I could paint IF I really wanted. But I also Have cavalry machineguns and Cannon so the British are well covered due to ealier projects. I feel I could do with a few Zulus though another £30 worth or so! Maybe another £50 it is hard to say.... BUT I am swapping projects for a while. Maybe a LONG while.

      Delete
  4. What an awesome-looking horde of zulus, Clint. You must be very pleased with how they look - I know I would be :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. I think I need 3 more 3 man bases just to finish off the large unit!

      Yes I am happy to be finished. be warned though I have sent for another rule book there may be a new project coming soon (end of FEB!) OR I may go back to an old one. I feel WW2 calling me again!

      Delete
  5. Nicely done, Clint. I can fully understand your reluctance to paint any more (at least for now) but knowing that you feel they should have a few more additions I'd bite the bullet and complete the force to your own satisfaction. You know you want to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bryan. I will do a few more but I need a break for now. Back to the lead pile. I have 15mm WW2 still looking at me sideways and 28mm WW1 whispering to me. I think it is time to paint what I want and NOT what I need for a little!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Dave I am afraid I have gone all sci fi on the challenge this week! Back to normal next week.

      Delete
  7. That's a hugely impressive sight Clint; well done that man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael, they may not be so fantastically painted but in numbers you do not see all the little mistakes.

      Delete
  8. Great group shot, very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran That should (I hope ) be enough for now.

      Delete
  9. Excellent collection sir. That's a lot of Zulu's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee. A lot I grant you but never enough.

      Delete
  10. Brilliant collection of angry men with assegais! That massed look is absolutely perfect for them. Great job Clint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paul I just hope it will look acceptable on the table when playing.

      Delete
  11. Fab work Clint. Painting Zulu's can damage the body, spirit and soul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray I managed to stop before my eyes started bleeding. The soul though is now bruised.

      Delete
  12. Great stuff and they do looka significant force altogether. The 'finishing off' aspect is a poisoned chalice though as you'll want to finish them eventually, realize you need a few more for the natives allied otthe Brits etc. - Is any project truly finished ?
    I'd agree though you do need to diversion from this project and get back to doing what is currently, before you burn out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe I know well enough to stop either now or VERY very soon. I may do 9 more figures just to round the brown and white shield guys.

      Delete
  13. Very nice little Zulus Clint :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tamsin. I feel I need a little break now before I even think about doing more.!

      Delete
  14. its got to be said "Zulus- thousands of em" Looking forward to seeing them on the table.
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tim. It has to be said I am a long way short of even 1 thousand Zulus. But this should be enough for now.... having said that I have already sorted the next batch out to paint (but only a few of them)

      Delete
  15. They do look glorious set up together, Clint! Thanks for that!
    Now would be a good time for the British troops to do last minute checks on rifles...Zulu chants clearly heard! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. I think it might sound like a train with that many Zulus. I have primed a few more about 15 just to finish some units slightly more.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.