Friday 22 January 2016

Medevac

No not me personally I am in good health (as far as I know).

This was also done for the Analogue Challenge painting competition. IT had hung around for about 8-10 years without being touched so I was about time. The model is a Revel Kit that I think I purchased while in Germany. It went together easily and painting was very quick and simple. But as it came with no crew I added some Britannia/Grubby tanks crew. Luckily for me they do a Medevac crew. The crew pack consists of Pilot, Co-pilot, Medic treating a wounded soldier a dead body (shown in last post) and a soldier with a rifle. The figures are tightly chunky when compared with SHQ (Most of my troops) but I actually prefer that as it gives them a slightly Cartoony feeling to painting with deep creases in the clothes. Not so good if trying to paint camouflage but as My Vietnam troops are in plain green (except my south Vietnamese) I look on it as an advantage.

I did want to put the dead body inside, but it was just a little too cramped even when I stripped out the seats and stretchers. So he was left behind. I am happy with the arrangement as it is though as It is a medevac helicopter and really does need the medic involved.

Although I said it went together easily, it did involve me getting glue on the windows at every opportunity with my inept dexterity. The other problem of course was the decals which had decayed to the level where I could not apply them properly an some even just flaked off. The result was me hand painting 2 of the crosses, so do not look too closely as they will be noticed. If that is not shooting myself in the foot and drawing attention to them I just do not know what will!

As we all know, no wargames project is ever really finished but this is getting close now. Still a few more choppers to build, both for attack roles and slicks for air lift. But they do not stay on the table long so generally need not be represented.

I have taken to using plastic disposable wine glasses as flight stands. 8 for a £1 in my local pound shop they are clear, light easy to transport and to store and even replace. They can straddle terrain any put any helicopter about 5 inches above the table so work very well. If you do any 20mm Modern wargames I would recommend them for Helicopters. They work very well indeed.


That's it for today. Next post Monday and an AAR of my Samurai using the Dragon Rampant rules .  I hope. Well it should be unless I can get no players at the club or unless some kind of unforeseen accident and no body like that.

Cheers For looking, all the best Clint


 

28 comments:

  1. Clint, that is such a great model and you have done a brilliant job on it. I'm looking for a chopper for my z hosp, would this work? you say its 20mm your project...

    i hope you get to play your samurai game as i look forward to the AAR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gobbo. yes it is 20mm (1/72nd scale) as are all my Vietnam figures. But I do know the model is available in 1/48th scale (which will work for 28mm). While it is an old helicopter it is still in use in some countries but mostly It has been replaced by other options in Western Europe/US.

      However if that would not bother you It could make a good choice for a rescue helicopter in Zed games. (Other than the scale)

      Delete
    2. cheers mate, yeah i'm looking for the 28mm version really, i don't mind it being the old huey although a modern version would be good too. I love those medevac figs, they really enhance the model

      Delete
    3. Cheers mate. A good mini game would be a corpse dying on the medevac and the crew having to kill the resultant zombie in a confined space without wrecking the chopper as they fly along!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic model! I always wanted a helicopter but in the end, I figured it wouldn't fit on my gaming board too much.

    As for it being useful,apart from having 2 rotor blades instead of 4 (which only makes storing easier!), it doesn't look much different from Bell 412 that is still widely used.

    I think I'll go check Ebay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mathyoo. I agree 2 rotors is easier to store and transport. A Bell 412 would fit the bill nicely. Good luck on Ebay. If you get one cheap let me know.

      Delete
  3. Great work.. so happy to see this completed! You did a great job on it mate, and curious now to see a full set of these ready to help out on the battlefield extractions they will be called in for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kyle. I only have one medevac chopper, it should be all I need. I have a few slicks as well for Platoon lift. I feel I should also get a Loach and a Cobra!

      Delete
  4. A game with lots of helicopters will look great!
    Coppola, start the music...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy. Yes choppers in a game do look good. I am more The Rolling Stones or the Doors than Flight of the Valkyries.

      Delete
    2. Clint.
      Stu (Col. Bills) says "Hello."

      He was thinking he'd next see you next at the Sidcup show, but then, between us, we remembered the Tonbridge show is first.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Roy, yes I should see him at the Tonbridge show first. (and hallo back)

      Delete
  5. A great looking model and the figures definitely look like they were made for it. Good work, Clint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. Just a few more things and the Vietnam project will be finished. And I have enough to play that is sure.

      Delete
  6. Loved this Clint, particularly all the additional details and crew. I would certainly like a version for the larger scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michael. A larger version might well suit you Predator hunters.

      Delete
  7. So damn good that buddy, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irqan. Very kind of you to say so.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Citizen. A project nearing "Completion"

      Delete
  9. Great looking model Clint and the crew look the part too hunched over their weapons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joe. Grubby tanks figures are nice if a little chunkie

      Delete
  10. Most impressive Clint! I hadn't noticed the painted red cross signs, until you mentioned them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. You know what it's like when you yourself know it's wrong your own eye goes straight to it!

      Vietnam stuff in at least 1 more bonus round!

      Delete
  11. Terrific stuff Clint. If I didn't better I'd have thought the minis were made for that helicopter... And a "Dragon Rampart" BatRep coming soon? Great news :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blax. I suspect the models were made for that model kit. They also make packs for slicks as well. You never know you may see one !

      yes Dragon Rampant at club tomorrow. (AAR Monday ) Not going to be very Magical though. Maybe next time.

      Delete
  12. Fantastic job mate love all the little details especially the crew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, the crew make it I believe.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.