Saturday 27 June 2015

Zulus in headdress.

Well it has been 6 months since I touched this project simply because having bought all the stuff and started and gotten started I just found very little joy in doing it. But you know me eventually I do return to old projects and get them moved on.

The figures are all Newline Design in 10mm. I selected 10mm for my Zulu army for two reasons. 1 you do need a lot of Zulus to make it
look good which for ease of storage and ease of Transportation means small figures. And 2 as my Mahdists and British are in 10mm it just made sense to keep them the same scale so I can use things in both cases.

So here we have 27 figures of Zulus in headdresses and Black and white cow hide shields. They come in packs of 30 figures but I dropped one figure while undercoating it out of doors so I just cut them back to the next unit size (27) until I found him and started the next lot. He is now found and ready to spray with primer and that will be started this afternoon. They will not be done in a hurry though as I do not get a sense of achievement from doing them but hope to by seeing a mass of them when finished.

There are only 3 poses in each pack and at 10mm tall little need to convert any or change them, Just a simple change of shield pattern and they are good to go. At the rate I am painting these I might get them finished in the next 5 years. But I suspect it will be quicker as the more you do the faster you get AND the more you want to paint them as the mass grows. At least that is what I keep telling myself.

That's it for today, Have fun enjoy the sun and I should post again on Monday and I hope an AAR.

All the best Clint

10 comments:

  1. I half agree and half disagree with your statement, "the more you do the faster you get AND the more you want to paint them as the mass grows." I do agree that the more the mass grows the more you want to paint, but painting masses of figures never gets any quicker for me. I wish it did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bryan. I think you are correct, but IF I can convince myself I am doing them faster (and keeping the same standard) I think that will make me happy.

      Delete
  2. It's always satisfyig to get something finished, an army, a unit, a figure or whatever - even if you're not really enjoying it - Stick at it and get the whip out on PM..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe only another 60 with headdress to go! (And about 300-400 without headdress). Yes I will do a group photo when more get finished.

      Delete
  3. Keep going my friend :-) I actually find posting about my projects helps out, especially when I look back to see where I was a few weeks ago... and yours look great I assure you. Juts think of the fun you'll have when they're all painted and carefully placed away in a box in a drawer for a decade or two ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blax, That did make me laugh..... I suspect it will only take a few more years if I am honest. I have the next batch all prepped now and ready to start painting so I had best stop typing and just get on with it!"

      Delete
  4. Ah, I think that if 10mm figures had been available at the time then I'd never have bothered with either 6mm or 15mm! But I'm too heavily committed to both these other scales to contemplate a third "mass battle" figure size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mate. 15mm is what most people in the club play (or 28mm) and they are never going to change what they do. I can't blame them at all if I had been playing 15mm for years and years I doubt I could change. But for me 10mm figs are just BIG enough to be stored and transported and yet small enough to give a mass battle appeal.

      Although when I see Nappys done in 6mm I always get tempted!

      Delete
  5. Progress is still progress. Its good to flit between projects keeps things fresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. Every figure I paint does help reach the target!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.