Thursday 13 December 2012

20mm plastic soldiers.

Yes I know the world and his dog have seen 20mm plastic soldiers enough to last them a lifetime, if not longer. I thought I should offer some proof that I have been painting ready for the Caen Campaign. So here and below are just a couple of pics which show both the Brits and the Germans together with their corresponding poses. All the figures are from "the Plastic Soldier Company" and a box set of hard plastics retail for about £10 give or take. Lots of the figures are in two or three pieces, but once cleaned up the fit together very nicely. Each box contains 3 hard plastic sprues with 10-11 different figures on each sprue. As you can see with these two riflemen many of the poses are very similar but with different nationalities. I have no issue with this as they will not be put next to each other like this on the games table. The Canadian uniform is straightforward Khaki with hi-lights and shading and actually takes as long for me to do as the German Camouflage (Oak leaf spring) pattern. I don't hi-light and shade my camouflage patterns at any scale smaller then 54mm, they simply don't seem to need it!
These next two are Light machine guns on the move. The molding and angle do much to conceal the Germans MG34. But the Canadians Bren Gun is prominently on display. Given the rules we shall be using (Operation Squad) the two weapons are very different. Just as they were/are in real life. This is one aspect of the rules which appeals to me. The 30 round magazine for the Bren does a lot to restrict it's rate of fire due to reloads. While the MG34 could have a magazine, but could also be belt fed.

The Last pic for today shows each nations medics. Medics in the campaign might become very useful when players want to patch up troops on the front line. Only a few squads will have medics attached the others will just have to make do as best they can. This is simply because the lieutenants either spent the points on medics or did not. And the players will each be given a RANDOM squad. So I expect most squads to have no medical benefits, mind you the choice of how to spend the points was not easy for some people.
That's it for today. Thanks for popping by and talk again soon. All the best Clint.

8 comments:

  1. Looking very nice Clint! And thanks for the pressie, they were YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. The Homemade chocolate fudge is one of my better recipes.

      Delete
  2. They look great and the plan for the games sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You Caen campaign seems to be coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing the finished forces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ca't reveal the squads until the guys get them on Sunday and the star up game is played. But you are right it is comming together.

      Delete
  4. The oak leaf looks good Clint, as always :) I really am not sure about plastic figures though, i find the scale compared to metal figures is just too slight, especially the weapons. You certainly cannot mix metal and plastic. Either way mate, you are a dab hand with a brush and no mistake :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do intend to mix and match metals and plastics. (assumes I can find my old SHQ figs... if I can't I'm screwed.) I'm not going to worry too much about scale creep and weapon thikness. Afterall it's for a game, not for a museum display, so I should get away with it!

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment.